Friday, June 6, 2014

My Favorite Primers at The Moment





Primers are very important if you'd like your makeup to last throughout the day, to even out skin texture, or to brighten your complexion. I love trying new primers every time I run out of my current staple, so I've tried a fair few! My skin is combination. It's drier in the winter with a slightly oily t-zone, and very oily in the summer with some rare dry patches depending on what I've been up to. Our weather here in Wisconsin is mainly 40% winter, and 30% summer (the last 30 being mostly fall!) so I mostly deal with these opposite extremes when dealing with my skin. Here is a list of some of my favorites.










Benefit Cosmetics The POREfessional Primer

I reach for this more on days where my skin is feeling hydrated, my pores are visible, and I'm in need of a longer lasting face. I don't like using this after I shower during the day because I can find that if I don't leave my moisturizer on long enough to really sink in, the POREfessional starts to pill up. It likes to stick to bare skin, in my experience. It's a silicone texture which means it leaves a smooth, satiny finish, and has that cream like powder feel. It is one of those primers that sinks into pores but mainly sits atop the skin to form a nice silky canvas. It is extremely light-weight so it never feels heavy. This stuff is also slightly beige in tone, but doesn't change the color of your skin/foundation. It makes my foundation go on smooth and keeps it on slightly longer than if I didn't use a primer.












L'Oreal Magic Lumi Light Infusing Primer

I think this primer might be my favorite for cooler months, or days when my skin is drier. I've mentioned this product in another blog post here, but expanding on that, this stuff is liquid so it moisturizes and skins in to my skin. The finely milled shimmer gives it a glowy, dewy finish. Because this is i liquid, I find that it keeps makeup on quite long. Like I had mentioned before, I wouldn't use this alone because it makes your skin look like a disco ball, but once you add foundation over it, the inner glow is just unbeatable. The packaging of this is also nice since it's thin and sleek, but you don't get a whole lot of product.










Almay Smart Shade CC Luminous Primer

I don't normally gravitate towards Almay, but this was new in winter and I was itching for new products so I grabbed this. I have to say that this works on my skin at any level of hydration, and with any foundation I'm using whether it be liquid or mineral powder. It's hydrating itself, but not too wet or liquidy. It does have a slight luminosity, but nothing like Magic Lumi. I find that it does even out my skin tone slightly but it has sort of a white cast on my complexion, but is not chalky. I'm very fair to begin with, so I wouldn't use this unless I'm putting foundation over it.








Urban Decay De-Slick Oil-Control Makeup Setting Spray

I ran out of this particular product awhile back and forgot about it (gasp!) but Summer is upon us so I thought I'd repurchase this again and I'm so glad I did. Like I've mentioned a million times before, I am a greasy, oily beast in the heat so this is an absolute drop what you're doing and go purchase this product. I sometimes use it before any foundation (liquid or mineral powder) as a primer itself to keep my faced locked in all day, or I spray it over my whole face when I'm done to do the same. Sometimes I will spray before and after if I know I'm going to be wearing my makeup for quite some time. This spray also wets down your complexion if it looks too powdery or chalky from blush, bronzer or setting powder. Honestly, I don't think I'll go without this product again!










Monistat Smoothing Care Powder Gel

Okay, this product is used to create a silky smooth barrier for skin and to keep moisture away. It also reduces redness and irritation but it's main use is to prevent chafing. BUT the main ingredient in this product is dimethicone, which is the same main ingredient in most silicone textured primers. So why not use it as a primer as well? I'm sure a lot of you have heard about using this as a primer, but to those of you who haven't, it's basically the exact same thing as Smashbox Photo Finish Primer, but at a fraction of the cost! I've tried both, and I actually prefer this powder gel. If you have it for chafing already and need something to prime in a pinch, this definitely does the job!


Okay, so there's a round-up of a few of my favorite primers in my stash at the moment. Do you love any of the above? Do you have any suggestions for hydrating primers? 

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment