Friday, May 9, 2014

Liquid Liner Round-up


My go-to eye look almost always involves a cat eye! A perfect wing comes with practice, but a good liquid eyeliner is essential. I've been testing out some different types for awhile so I thought I'd share my pros and cons on the few I have in my makeup collection as of now.


Rimmel London Glam'Eyes Professional Liquid Eyeliner

Pros-- Tiny brush applicator, very black, matte, easy to apply, inexpensive, did not flake
Cons-- Had to touch up after awhile, had to build up the opacity slightly

This is the thinnest brush I've used on a liquid eyeliner which makes a perfect cat eye actually attainable! I wish the opacity on first stroke was a lot stronger and I didn't have to touch up throughout the day.





Pros-- Tiny brush applicator, very black, matte, opaque somewhat easy to apply, super inexpensive, non flaky
Cons-- My inner corner rubbed off quite easy, is a pain if it gets on eyelashes, not the smallest brush I've used

This eyeliner is my favorite on the opacity and the matte finish. I found it always got on my lashes when applying and flaked off of them.




Pros-- Another matte formula, small stiff applicator, opaque, but had to build up
Cons-- Felt like applicator, transferred to upper eye area after a few hours of wear, more difficult application

Revlon's eyeliner was more difficult for me too use. This is hard to explain, but you know when the liner dries too fast and you have to go over it somewhat, but going over it ends up pulling some of the product off? Well that's what this one did! Since the applicator is stiff and a sort of felt material, it was harder for me to get a nice precise cat eye because it didn't flow as easy over my skin.I have super oily eyelids and will always use an eye shadow primer so I'm not sure why every time I used this, I got a faint black line on my upper eye area.




Pros-- Opaque, easy to line the lashes, faded throughout the day
Cons-- Transferred to upper eye area, harder to make a clean cat eye, dries out fast during application

I'm learning that I'm not a huge fan of felt tip liners, but I decided to give them a try. This one also transferred to my upper eye area (again, I used a primer) and faded quite a bit. It looked very messy after a few hours of wear and my wing was much too thick. This might work if you prefer the pen style and have drier lids.





Pros-- Tiny tip, easy application, more control over wing, matte, opaque
Cons-- Dries out during application, transferred to upper lid, fades after a few hours

Like the Revlon pen, it was basically the same experience, only the finer tip made it easier to make a cat eye, but it was not quite perfection for me.


L-R: Rimmel, Wet n Wild, Revlon, Revlon pen, L'Oreal


Overall I've learned that I prefer a tiny brush tip applicator, a matte finish, and longevity. I have to say my favorite so far is the Rimmel Glam'Eyes. I've tried other drugstore liners as well in the past such as Maybelline Line Stiletto and their felt-tip pen version, and I still prefer the Rimmel one. What are your preferences? Would you rather use high-end versions? Have any to suggest? 

Brittany 

No comments:

Post a Comment